Funding to boost community safety

THE Federal Government on Friday announced more than $600,000 in funding to make South West communities safer.

Forrest MHR Nola Marino said the funding had been provided as part of round 2 of the Government’s $40 million Safer Communities Fund.

The fund consists of two streams.

Stream one boosts the efforts of identified local governments and community organisations to address crime and anti-social behaviour by supporting crime prevention initiatives such as fixed and mobile CCTV and lighting.

Stream two boosts efforts to protect schools, pre-schools and community organisations that are facing security risks associated with racial or religious intolerance.

“$469,000 will be provided to the City of Bunbury for the Withers Fibre Link Connection,” Mrs Marino said.

“This project includes the installation of a fibre optic link, which will provide stability between the city’s CCTV control room and the Withers Library server room which houses their CCTV network.

“It also enables the expansion of the CCTV network into other public areas including along Ocean Drive.” Mrs Marino said $145,000 will be provided to the City of Bunbury for five CCTV cameras in “hotspots” in the CBD to enhance the city’s safety.

“$13,910 will be provided to the Shire of Nannup for a CCTV camera at the Nannup Recreation Centre, increasing safety around the centre,” she said.

“These projects will make a real difference in the South West.” Bunbury Mayor Gary Brennan said the funding would go a long way to upgrading the existing CCTV network.

“Community safety is always a high priority for the City of Bunbury and the expansion of the CCTV network will help our residents feel safer,” he said.

“Upgrading the current infrastructure will also ensure the network is in working order.”

Source: Bunbury Herald.