20,000 youths on the PaTH to work

The Turnbull Government’s commitment to getting young Australians working has reached another milestone with more than 20,000 young people placed into work under the Youth Jobs PaTH (Prepare-Trial-Hire) program.

Member for Forrest Nola Marino said Youth Jobs PaTH was successfully helping long-term unemployed young people gain skills and experience to improve their chances of being considered for a job.

“Over 100 South West youths are now employed as a result of PaTH,” Mrs Marino said.

“PaTH is helping ensure our young people are building the skills that will equip them to enter the workforce and build a future for themselves,” Mrs Marino said.

“The Government is committed to getting as many Australians into work as possible, because we believe the best form of welfare is a job. PaTH interns are fast-tracking the skills they need to develop to become work-ready.

“I encourage employers to visit their local jobactive provider, who will explain how they might be eligible to receive financial assistance under PaTH and possibly hire and trial a new employee.”

PaTH includes three flexible elements:

– Prepare — Employability Skills Training courses help young people better understand what employers expect of them in the workplace and equip them with the skills, attitude and behaviours required for them to be successful in a job.

– Trial — local businesses are encouraged to take on a young person aged 17 to 24 in a voluntary internship for a period of 4 to 12 weeks. Businesses that take on an intern will receive a $1,000 payment, and young people who participate will receive an incentive payment of $200 per fortnight on top of their income support payment.

– Hire — a Youth Bonus wage subsidy of up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) has been available since 1 January 2017 to help more businesses hire young people.

For more information about Youth Jobs PaTH, visit: jobactive.gov.au/path

Upgraded facility reopens its doors

DECADES of planning, months of work and community effort came to fruition with the official opening of Hocart Lodge Aged Centre’s new facilities on April 11.

Hocart chief executive officer Ishbell Reid said the $16.23 million upgrade added 20 more beds over the old facility’s 40-bed capacity, with the new beds already being filled.

“We have our first admissions arriving on Friday of this week (April 13) then over the course of the next 10 days we have a further eight admissions coming in,” Ms Reid said.

“By the end of this month certainly we will have filled 10 of those 20 beds, a very good outcome but also one which demonstrates a need for residential aged care beds within the community.” In June last year, stage one of the development was opened with 30 beds.

Completed last month, stage two, added new reception and administration areas along with the second residential unit with a further 30 beds, including a 10bed dementia unit.

Ms Reid said there was still a waiting list for the remaining unassigned beds.

“By the end of May the likelihood is we’ll be sitting at if not full occupancy then certainly very close to that,” she said.

Ms Reid said a further increase of Hocart’s occupancy was planned and it would be applying for bed licences to increase its capacity to 70, using the 10 beds vacated in the old dementia unit.

Forrest MHR Nola Marino officially unveiled the plaque commemorating the completion of the facility and said the day was a tribute to the many people who had worked on the project over the years.

“You can see how much work has gone into it by a dedicated group of people for many years, and certainly the community is going to be better for having this,” she said.

Hocart board chairwoman Glenys Chambers thanked the community members and agencies which had contributed to the project, also to the dedicated past and present board members who had fought to bring about the upgrade to the facilities.

“The building is just magnificent, it’s really a credit to those board members who for so long had never said die, they just kept slogging away,” she said.

Source: Harvey-Waroona Reporter.

Regional grants closing

APPLICANTS are encouraged to get their initial submissions in for the Federal Government’s Regional Growth Fund which closes on April 27.

Forrest MHR Nola Marino said the $272 million Regional Growth Fund would support major projects in regional, rural and remote areas that delivered long-term economic benefits.

Mrs Marino said the fund was an opportunity to ‘think big’ on new or expanded regional projects, with 50 per cent of project funding on offer.

Mrs Marino said the fund was aimed at providing additional investment for sustainable economic growth, including from the private sector, other levels of government, and not-for-profit organisations.

Initial applications must be submitted by 3pm on April 27.

For more information, including the application process, visit www.grants.gov.au.

Source: Harvey-Waroona Reporter.

South West encouraged to ‘get cracking’ with RGF projects

Fast Facts:
– Only weeks to go for Initial Applications, with $10 million or more on offer for successful applicants
– $272 million investment opportunity to transform regional communities
– Fund focused on major projects valued over $20 million, supporting long-term economic growth and job creation in regional and rural Australia

Member for Forrest Nola Marino is calling for applicants to get cracking for the Turnbull Government’s highly anticipated Regional Growth Fund, with just weeks remaining to submit Initial Applications.

Mrs Marino said the $272 million Regional Growth Fund would support major projects in regional, rural and remote areas that delivered long-term economic benefits.

“This is a unique opportunity to ‘think big’ on new or expanded regional projects, with 50 percent of project funding on offer as part of the Turnbull Government’s focus on regional jobs,” Mrs Marino said.

“Whether its tourism, sporting amenities, transport, or manufacturing – the Liberal-led Government will invest a minimum of $10 million toward each successful infrastructure project.

“The Regional Growth Fund will support additional investment for sustainable economic growth, including from the private sector, other levels of government, and not-for-profit organisations.”

Initial applications must be submitted by 3pm (WST) on April 27.

For more information, including the application process, visit grants.gov.au

Lives set to be saved in South West

Fast facts:
– The Turnbull Government has announced the 2018-19 funding allocation for Black Spot projects
– South West to receive $1,140,000 under the allocation, with 3 projects set to be delivered
– $5,175,339 has been allocated in Western Australia toward 28 projects, forming a key plank of the Turnbull Government’s road safety commitment

Residents of the South West have received a major road safety boost today with the Turnbull Government set to invest $1,140,000 toward 3 projects under the 2018-19 Black Spot Program.

Federal Member for Forrest Nola Marino said the South West’s input had been essential in identifying key road upgrades that will save lives.

“Road accidents place a major burden on our region. It impacts on our emergency services, it impacts our daily travel, and most importantly, it places incredible strain on friends and families,” Mrs Marino said.

“Through this funding allocation we will see projects like Mornington Road, Ferguson Road and Ecclestone Street upgraded.

“$750,000 will go towards widened and sealing the shoulders, removing roadside hazards, install delineation, guide posts and advisory signs on curves in the section east of South Western Highway and west of Martin Road at Wokalup.

“$300,000 will go towards improving the visibility in clear zone, remove trees, and reinstate gravel shoulders on Ferguson Road.

“$90,000 will go towards installing a path with dedicated crossing points and upgrade lighting on Ecclestone Street.

“None of these projects would be delivered without the community’s vital input, and I’d encourage all residents and motorists in the region to nominate projects for future funding rounds.”

For more information, or to make a nomination, visit investment.infrastructure.gov.au/funding/blackspots